Laurie's Wedding

Back in January, while I was up in Anchorage, Laurie called to tell me that she had a funny story for me. I assumed that it was an embarrassing funny story, like tripping in front of a large group of people or something and I was a complete mess with that whole NICU thing, so I told her that I couldn't handle hearing it right then. I'd remember randomly when I was up in the middle of the night to pump or something, but I figured that she'd forgotten about it also. Well, finally, she asked if I was ready to hear the story and as my head was in a much better place, I agreed. I had no idea that this funny story was going to change everything...

It turns out that Laurie had started online dating. If you knew Laurie in person, you would understand why that by itself could have been the funny story, but it keeps going. She'd met a guy that she really liked and he was from Oregon. Actually, he was from the town that I went to college in. And he went to my college. And we had the same major. And he was two only two years ahead of me. Yep, Laurie was dating one of my friends from college. In fact, he was my roomies date one time and he and his roommate used to take me swing dancing.

Fast forward a few months to this week and Gabe and I met up with Bella and Pat in Portland for Laurie and Nathan's wedding.

We flew in on Wednesday and met up with my college girlfriends for dinner. 
The other three husbands couldn't make it, so Pat and Gabe were a little out outnumbered...

On Thursday, we drove down and met up with Matt and Rachael, my brother and sister-in-law, for lunch. They brought their dog Asta, who really wanted to be friends with Gabe. Unfortunately, Gabe hasn't mastered the art of "gentle" and Asta may have lost a few eyebrow hairs. Sorry Asta!



Thursday was the rehersal and the rehearsal dinner. Unfortunately, this is when Gabe decided to remind us that he doesn't like freeways. He screamed all the way to lunch. And back to the house to change for dinner. And all the way to the rehearsal. And to the rehearsal dinner. And home. The poor kid does not like the car...

The rehearsal went well, but it was a strange mixing of my worlds. I knew all of the groomsmen from college. Nathan's sister-in-law lived on my floor freshman year. His brother was in a lot of my classes. And the lady who did our makeup for the wedding (who Laurie's mom found online), was my orientation leader. It was bizarre!

Friday morning I went and got my nails done with Laurie, Laura, Laura, and Laurie's mom. Linda couldn't make it. I threated to change my name to Lindsey or Lauren for the weekend, just to make life easier...

After lunch, I drove Laura and Laura around for wedding stuff, while Pat was home with the kids. About 3, Pat texted me to say that Gabe's ear was pouring wax. He'd woken up the day before with a crazy crusty ear. We'd cleaned it all up, but it was still pouring. He wasn't fussy or pulling on his ear or anything, he just had a gross ear. I texted a picture to the Pediatrition, since we were going to get on a plane a few days later and I didn't want to deal with eardrum issues on the plane, and she told me to take him in. So, I dropped off Laura and Laura, and headed back to the house. We packed up our stuff (since we were planning to spend the night at a hotel a little bit closer to the wedding) and ended up at Urgent Care, which is exactly where you want to spend a Friday night on vacation... Luckily his eardrum is fine, he just has an outer ear infection. It also meant that we got a very late dinner that night...


The weather had been great all week. Then Saturday morning it was cold and   windy, just what you want for an outdoor wedding. Then as the guests were seating and we were all about to walk out, the rain started. Rather than move the entire thing inside, we had a wedding in the rain, which actually seemed about perfect. Conveniently, it stopped raining about the time that we went inside for the reception... At least we did most of the pictures beforehand when the hair and makeup still looked okay...

Overall, it was a beautiful wedding and I'm so glad that we were able to be a part of it. And I'm very happy that Laurie found Nathan.






And now we're all headed home, back to reality. Vacation is way more fun...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3