December 15

December 15. This day used to be significant because it meant that the Governor released his budget, signaling the beginning of the crazy season at work. Now it will forever be the day that I went to the hospital knowing that something was very wrong and ended up getting medivacced north where Gabe was born a few hours later. It’s an emotional day for me. It’s the day that the doctors started listing off all of the things that were going to be wrong with him. It’s the day that I told the doctor that if my son wasn’t going to make it, could he bring him back so I could hold him before he dies. It’s the day that could have very easily been the worst day of my life.

Instead, it’s not. That day could have been so dark, but instead, it’s the beginning of an incredible story. A story of hope and life. God had a much different plan than anything the doctors told us would or could happen and now, three years later, we have the most amazing little boy. None of the things that were supposed to be wrong with him are. He has no signs of his dramatic entrance into the world, aside from the occasional bloody nose. He’s my perfect little miracle baby.

Tonight we celebrated his birthday with our family birthday party. I asked Gabe what he wanted for dinner and he said “cake. And juice.” So we went to the store and I bought everything we needed to make a cake. Poor kid thought the cake would be ready instantly and he went down for a nap sobbing “I want my cake!” Silly kid. When I did finally get the cake made, he was so excited that when Gramps walked in, Gabe said “psst” and motioned for him to follow him into the kitchen to see the cake. He wasn’t quite sure why we had to eat dinner first.











All of his presents were a huge hit. He would have been happy with any one present, but that’s not how birthdays work.



And then he finally got his cake.



Oh my sweet little boy. Words cannot express how grateful I am for you, or how grateful I am to God for saving your life three years ago today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3