My Little Helper

When I was in high school, I was driving down the road when suddenly one of the belts in the engine went out and my car just stopped in the middle of traffic.  As this was before the days of cell phones, I just sat there, unsure of what to do.  Then a policeman pulled up behind me and told me that I needed to move my car.  He ended up pushing my car out of the way and calling my Dad to come and rescue me.  Between the two of them, they got me and my car back the house so that Dad could actually fix my car.

On Tuesday night, we were driving down the road and I saw a police car had pulled someone over and since his lights were flashing, I pointed it out to Gabe.  He was very interested and wanted to know what was going.  I told him that either someone was driving too fast and the policeman needed to tell him to drive slower, or the person had a problem with their car and he was helping.  Then I told him the story of when my car had died on the side of the road.

I may have created a monster.

G:  Why did your car just stop?
M:  It just did.  The alternator belt went out.
G:  But why?
M:  Because it was old.
G:  But the policeman help you.
M:  Yes.  The policeman helped me.
G:  But why?
M:  Because that's what they do.  Policeman help you.  They help you by keeping you safe or by helping you when you have a problem.
G:  And Gramps help you.
M:  Yes
G:  Why did Gramps help you?
M:  Because he's my daddy and that's what daddy's do.
G:  And Gram is your mommy.
M:  Yes.

And now three time since then, we've been driving and he's said "Mommy, tell me again when your car stopped and the policeman and fireman and Gramps help you."  So, I tell the whole story again, making sure to note that there was no fireman involved.  Just a policeman.

He's very focused on helping and rescuing.  When we get into the elevator we have to discuss the fact that we don't push the yellow button or the red button because those are only for if you need help.  "And then the fireman rescue you!"

He also told me that "When I grow up, I gonna be a fireman.  And then a red helicopter man.  And I fly around in my red helicopter and help people."

I love my little helper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3