Camping

We went camping last weekend. It was way more pleasant than last time, for three reason. One, it didn’t rain the whole time. Two, we had a cabin. And three, Josy learned how to walk so we didn’t have a baby crawling through the mud all day. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoyed our last camping trip, but not every member of the family thought that was the best way to spend the weekend. But moving on...

We got out to the cabin Friday night. It was dark, but we managed to get out there and get situated without too much drama. Then we ate dinner and put the boys to bed. Unfortunately, Josy doesn’t do a good job of sleeping in a new place when there are other people in the room with him. This became a theme for the weekend... Pat and I stayed up playing games for a bit before heading to bed.

There were a couple of problems with sleeping. The air mattresses were super noisy. This meant that either time Pat or I rolled over it was super noisy. Also, we’d lit the stove, which meant that it was really hot. I was sleeping on top of my sleeping bag in a tank top and I was fine. But the boys were up in the loft, in fleece jammies and Josy had a sleepy sack. When he finally got up, his head was soaked with sweat and he had ringlets. But that’s getting ahead of ourselves... I have no idea what time Gabe woke up, but we probably had a two hour stretch of him going “is it wake up time? Can we eat breakfast??” When it was finally light enough for me to see my watch, it was 6:30, so I’m guessing he was up around 4:30? And Pat and I were both awake that long too..,

Eventually we did get up and get breakfast.











After breakfast we went on a long walk. Josy was determined to walk like a big boy and did not want to hold hands with anyone. This did not go over well with his mama when we were near the parking lot...













The rest of the day was spent trying to get little boys to take naps, reading books, cooking hot dogs for lunch, Pat making Dutch oven stew for dinner, avoiding the random rain shower, cross stitching, convincing Gabe that Pete the Parrot wither needed attached to him or to go back in the cabin, games, coffee, and chatting.















We did have one major problem. Daddy only brought one Paw Patrol chair. This caused much drama as Josy felt that he should get it since he was the littlest.





Gabe informed me that “since I slept on the loft, I think I’ve proved I’m ready to sleep on the top bunk.” Um, no. And that was proven to us when we crawled into bed that night and Gabe was sound asleep with one leg sticking all the way out of the slats. It’s a good thing they were narrow!!

Sleeping went better on Saturday night. We were all awake at 3 when two of us had to use the bathroom, Gabe needed water and Josy felt like he was missing out on the party, but we managed to convince Gabe that it was definitely not wake up time if it was still dark outside, so that helped. He did drop his entire sleeping bag on top of me in the middle of the night though, so clearly he wasn’t cold...

Sunday morning it was pouring rain, so we packed up everything up and headed for home. Well, some of us packed things up. Other just made faces at us through the window...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3