Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving week was a bit different than normal. Mostly, that’s because Gabe was it off school all week. I’m used to them being all off on Friday, but the Monday - Wednesday made life complicated. Since I was working from home and figured that he’d be bored, I set up a playdate with a school friend on Monday and then decided that it was easier to just keep Josy home with me too.

Gabe got this lovely picture of me working from home. 



Monday evening, Bella went to help out a friend and Pat had a meeting, so I took the boys to the store to do our massive Thanksgiving shopping. Pat had already gotten the turkey, so realistically, all we need was a huge pile of produce. I saw the sign that said I could get a discounted turkey for over $50, but I didn’t grab one because I didn’t think that I would go that high. When I got to the checkout, I went to self checkout. I don’t know why. I don’t like self checkout, particularly with the boys, but the other lanes were crazy busy. I rang up all of the groceries. $52. I looked at the lines and saw that there was no one waiting, so I left the bus at checkout and ran back to grab a turkey. I grabbed the first one I found and brought it back up to the front, only to discover that there wasn’t a tag on it. I then had to wait for the checkout lady to notice that I needed help, while the line behind us got longer. Finally she came over and told me that it would be easier if I got a different turkey. So I picked up this one and ran back to the back of the store. At that moment, Pat decided to call me after his meeting. I found myself throwing the turkey in the freezer, trying to find another one, dropping my phone on the floor, all while being concerned about the fact I’d left the boys at the front blocking traffic. When I finally got checked out, I got a text from a guy at work asking me what I needed. Apparently in my haste, I’d called him at work. It was a fun way to start the week…

Tuesday a friend asked if Gabe wanted to spend the day over there, so I got to work all day long at work! It was amazing!! Then 10 minutes better I left to get Josy, daycare called, concerned that they thought he had pink eye. Lovely. And the doctor’s office was already closed.

Wednesday I worked from home, but took the boys to the doctor. It turned out that Josy had an ear infection, and Gabe had a slight fever, but no pink eye. I canceled Gabe’s play date for the afternoon and we went home. Gabe looked a little tired, so I made him take a nap and he slept for three hours. He definitely did not feel good and had a fever when he woke up. We went to bed Wednesday night having no idea what the plan was going to be for Thursday. We had friends coming over, but coming over when a kid has a fever is a while different story.

Thursday morning Gabe woke up with no fever, but still wiped out. So he stayed home with Bella while Pat, Josy and I ran the Turkey Trot. It was very cold. And wet. But at least it was just raining, not raining sideways. And the trail was cleared enough that we could use the stroller.







You could also tell that people were super excited to have an in person race, finally. It was a great way to start the day.

When we got home, Gabe bounced off the couch and said that he felt good enough for his friends to come over. And from there on out, he was fine.

So Pat and I started cooking.



We also had a pretty cute little dishwasher



About the time that our friends showed up, we noticed that Gabe’s eye was bright pink. It got pinker and more painful as the day wore on. Do that definitely put a damper on things, but he kept going, playing hard. The kid is a tough little thing.

Meanwhile, Josy was quite a character at dinner. Everyone else was talking and he was not a part of the conversation, so he started making ridiculous faces just to get everyone to notice him. It totally worked. All we could do was laugh at him. And he couldn’t hold it long before he started laughing too.



Friday I went to work (and got up early to do some Black Friday shopping…) while Pat stayed home with the kids. He took them up the mountain to get fitted for rental ski gear. Then he took Gabe to the doctor to get eye drops for his eyes. It wasn’t pink eye, she thinks he just had the same cold that Josy had. Josy’s just hit his eyes and Gabe’s hit his eye. Strange… But a couple of days of antibiotics and both of them are handling life much better.

It was definitely a strange Thanksgiving, but it was a lot of fun anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3