Running

I've started running again. My life is better when I run and after a hiatus for over a year, I'm working on getting back into it.

At the beginning of the summer, Pat and I started doing a Couch to 5K program. I figured this would be a good way to get back into things. Unfortunately, Pat's knees had issues, so he only made it a week or so before he had to quit. So, I decided to keep going. However, Pat runs faster than I do, but I was in better shape, so I was the one pushing Gabe and we were running in the 9 minute-mile range. I'm generally more of a 11-11:30 minute mile sort of runner. So, I decided to keep up the pace, figuring that it will help me be a faster running.

While that all sounds good in theory, running that fast, while pushing a stroller is hard! Many runs I'd come back discouraged because I can't run for 2.5 miles straight at that pace and I'd do a lot of walking. But I'd get further each time, so I know that I am making progress. Plus, it's something fun for Gabe and I to do together and he loves to come with me. He gets all excited when I put on my running clothes and then gets upset when I leave him with Daddy long enough to get the stroller ready.


I've also had this view many times...

I've got a big relay race coming up in about a month, so I need to get my distance up. Apparently all that speed/stroller work is paying off! Two days ago I ran 3 miles (without Gabe) and it was the third fastest 5K I'd ever run! Yesterday I decided to run 5 miles. The last time I ran 5 miles was before I was pregnant with Gabe. I was at the top of my running game, the course was flat and I ran it in 10:44s. Yesterday my route was pretty hilly, but I didn't walk at all and I did it in 10:54s!

All that speed work while pushing Gabe is paying off!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3