Spring Break

It's been quite the Spring Break around here...

First of all, since it's Spring Break, Gram took Bella to Arizona for the week.  Apparently they are having a wonderful time as I keep getting pictures of them going to the zoo, shopping, swimming in the pool (at 46 degrees...) and having girltime with Auntie Katilyn.  Bella's not going to want to come home...

The rest of us have not been having quite as much fun.  The weekend was full of unpacking and trying to put our house together, plus exciting things like shopping for blinds.  Apparently moving involves all sorts of random little details that you don't think about...

Monday morning I had a doctor's appointment and since Gabe hadn't seen an ultrasound yet, I decided to take him.  He thought it was great to actually see his baby brother.  He also spent the rest of the exam crawling on my head and kissing me, so this may be his last doctors appointment, even though he did manage to charm every person working there.  I also managed to fail my glucose test.  You know it's bad when the doctor winces when he sees your number.

By the time I got home Monday, I definitely had a cold coming on.  This is my third cold (plus I had the stomach flu) since mid-January.  Either we have piles of bugs going around this year or this baby has destroyed my immune system.  I'm ready to be done with the colds and the sickness.  Needless to say, Monday night I was toast and it's a good thing that Pat was around to deal with dinner and take Gabe on walks and doing the bedtime routine.

Tuesday was more of the same.  I sat at work and coughed up a lung, wishing that I wasn't here...

Wednesday I went back to the doctor for my three-hour fasting glucose test.  That was super fun.  Luckily I can work from home, so I ended up working from the hospital wifi while I waited to do all of my hourly blood tests.  Let's just say that I failed the first two bad enough that they let me skip the third one.  It looks like I now have gestational diabetes.  Sweet.  The nurse called in a prescription for a glucometer so I can test my blood sugar four times a day for a week to see what's going on.

While I was in the middle of the test, I got a message from Pat.  He was sitting in Urgent Care.  He'd managed to stab himself with a rusty nail at work and needed to have it cleaned up, as well as a tetanus shot.

After work, Pat had youth group, plus Bella is gone, so Gabe and I decided to have a Mommy-Gabey date.  We went to the park to play for a while, and then we went to get fancy pizza.  It was fun, although it would have been more fun if I hadn't been coughing up a lung the entire time...  I don't think Gabe noticed (maybe because I've done so much coughing in the last few months???) and it was fun to spend some time with just him, particularly since the baby is going to show up here soon and he's going to have trouble sharing my attention.

Thursday, the doctor told me to stop by with the glucometer to show me how it worked.  The prescription ended up not getting filled until noon on Thursday and the nurse said that 3:30 would be best, so I left work at 3, fully intending to come back to work.  Instead, I finally left the doctor's office at 4:45 and we couldn't figure out how to make my glucometer work.  This wouldn't be a huge issue time-wise, except that Pat and I had birth class at 6 last night and we'd gotten a babysitter for Gabe.  I went back to work and posted a bunch of reports (that I'd been getting emails about while I was at the doctor), picked up Gabe, got gas, and went back to the pharmacy to figure out if my glucometer was faulty.  Thankfully, we figured it out.  By now it was 6 and Pat had left the babysitter at the house by herself while he went to birth class.  That's the ideal babysitting gig, right?  No baby to watch?  Anyway, I went home and dropped Gabe off and then went to class, getting there a half hour late.  It was hospital-tour day, which normally is fine.  But the instructor spent a lot of time talking about how no one can come visit you in the hospital if you have a cold and I spent the entire time thinking "Don't cough.  You don't need to blow your nose.  You're fine."

This morning, I woke up feeling better.  Now well, but better.  But I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be eating on this new diabetic plan and I knew that I could get a Lounge Muffin at work (seriously, the best breakfast ever and it should be reasonably diabetic-friendly!), so I decided eat a work.  I tested my blood sugar for the first time, the stuck my phone and my glucometer in my purse.  When Gabe and I got to work, we did our regular walk through the capital building, making sure to say hi to all of the busts along the way.  When I got home to school, I looked in my purse and realized that my glucometer was gone.  This is probably a good time to note that it was 8:30, I hadn't had breakfast and I had a meeting at 9.  Sweet.  I dropped him off and then proceeded to retrace all of my steps through the capital building.  I ran into the security guard and told him to let me know if he found one.  I made it down to the car and still didn't have a glucometer.  Sweet.  Just then I got the phone call that my breakfast was ready. I went back to the capital building to pick up my breakfast, finally getting to work at 8:45.  Luckily there was enough time to eat because I'm pretty sure that a hungry, sick, pregnant lady shouldn't be sitting through meetings with anyone...

The good news is that Pat went to the house later and found my glucometer at the house.  It had fallen out of my purse before I left the house.  At least we know where it is.  That said, for day one of checking my blood sugar, I'm failing miserably.

So, it's been quite the week around here.  At least Bella is having fun in Arizona...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3