Brothers

When I was pregnant, people would regularly ask me what Gabe thought about being a big brother. I would tell them that he was super excited and then there would inevitably be a comment about how we’ll have to wait and see until after the baby shows up and then he’ll change his mind. This always drove me nuts because I knew in my heart that Gabe was going to be a great big brother.

And now that Josiah is here, I can say that I was right. Gabe absolutely loves his baby brother! When we flew in from the NICU, he and Auntie Katilyn met us at the airport and he had a Welcome Home Josiah banner and he instantly gave him a hug and a kiss. Actually I was the last one to get a hug and kiss from Gabe and I was the one crying because I was so happy to see him...

It’s been almost a week and nothing has changed. Gabe loves to hold Josiah on his lap and he’s pretty sure that he always needs his pacifier, even yelling “Here’s your bosh dude!” when Josiah is sound asleep. He’s pretty concerned because Josiah doesn’t do “Ahh” so that he can get his bosh in for him. When he cries, Gabe rubs his back and says “It’s okay Baby Brother. I’m right here!” And now he doesn’t want to get out of the car, he waits to be unbuckled and says “I need to go check on my baby brother” and climbs over the carseat to make sure he’s okay.

It’s adorable. So yes, Gabe adores Josiah.  Sure he’s a little more emotional and isn’t listening the best during this transition, but for the most part, he’s doing amazingly well and he thinks the world of his new baby brother. Although he did tell me that Baby Brother wakes him up at night when he cries and I need to tell him not to wake him up and I need to tell him what the rules are... Sure. I’ll tell a less-than-two-week-old to follow the rules.

We also had this conversation:
G: I want Baby Brother to crawl around on the floor.
M: Baby Brother can’t crawl on the floor yet. First babies learn how to hold up their heads. Then they learn how to roll over. Then they sit. And then they learn how to crawl.
G: And then they learn how to love? And to laugh? And to punch balloons?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3