The NICU. Again.

I’ve got a few days to catch up on here as a lot has happened. But we’re back at the NICU. Lets back up a few days...

We’ve been pretty sure that Josiah would be born the day that they pulled out my cerclage. Given the fact that the stitch was the only thing holding him in (and had been for months), that seemed like a reasonable assumption. But then the doctor brought up his concern about a uterine rupture.

Because of some surgeries that I had since Gabe was born, the doctor was concerned that my uterus could rupture. He was willing to let me try and have a vaginal delivery, but insisted on taking some extra precautions. He also didn’t want him to get very big, so if nothing happened, then he wanted to do a scheduled csection at 38 weeks. Fine.

At 37 weeks, he pulled the cerclage. Pat took the day off work and we planned on having a baby. But nothing happened. At all. It was quite the letdown actually. So we waited. And waited. And eventually the day for the scheduled csection showed up without me going into labor naturally so we headed to the hospital at 5:30am and by 8:17 we had a baby.

However, Josiah was really raspy and breathing really fast. He was sent to the special care nursery with Pat to see if they could get him to calm down while I went to the OB ward to recover. A couple of hours later, he still hadn’t slowed down his breathing and the pediatrician started talking to the nicu about what the next step was and whether or not he needed to be medivacced.

As soon as they started talking about a medivac, I decided that I needed to see my baby before he left, so they told me that I set the hospital record for the fastest csection to get out of bed. But really, what choice did I have when they started talking about a medivac?

They watched him throughout the night and Josiah didn’t make any changes, so bright and early Saturday morning, they made the call for a medivac. Pat instantly left to go start packing and my Mom got the kids ready to come out and meet their little brother. They both got the chance to hold him, which they thought was wonderful. Gabe even brought his doggie Timmy so that Josiah could meet him, even though he was upset that Josiah didn’t kiss Timmy. He did keep calling him Baby Brother though. I asked it he knew what his name was and told him it was Josiah. He responded with "No! I wanted him to be called Monster Truck!"

By mid-morning, Pat and Josiah were on their way.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3