The NICU. Again. Part 2.

Since I was one day out from major abdominal surgery, I couldn’t fly in the medivac plane. But the doctor said that I was doing so well that he let me be discharged Sunday morning as long as I promised to take it easy. So Sunday morning I found myself once again being discharged from the hospital without my baby. It was not a good morning...

But this time Dad drove Mom and I straight to the airport (where there was a wheelchair waiting at the curb) and we flew north. Everyone was super nice and helpful and Pat picked us up and we drove straight to the NICU to see our little Josiah.

Once there, we got a bit more info about what’s going on. Basically, rather than using his lungs to breath, he was trying to use the umbilical cord (which obviously isn’t there anymore...). This caused him to breath way too fast. They also told us that he has preemie lungs, which is ironic since my preemie has reasonably mature lungs. So we needed to just wait.

So, we waited. We sat at the NICU all day Sunday, which actually wasn’t hard since my poor body wasn’t up for any sort of activity. As it was, Pat was pushing me around the hospital in a wheelchair.

We went back to the hospital on Monday to do more waiting, but by then Josiah was just done. He was tired of the cpap mask and he wanted it off. Unfortunately, he wasn’t stable enough to take it off. He’s also big and strong enough to fight with it. So he fought and cried all afternoon. It was hard and heartbreaking all at the same time because there was nothing we could do to fix it. I know that I was pretty discouraged leaving the hospital that day, and I think everyone else was too.

And then yesterday happened...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3