Vacation

As I write this, I’m sitting in a lovely condo in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. 

We needed a break. The last month or so has been brutal. There’s been a lot of stuff going on. In a three week time period, we managed to have six major crisis in our extended family ranging from broken bones to unexpected deaths. That didn’t even include normal end-of-the-schoolyear things. Luckily, we had a vacation already scheduled because we needed it…

We left Bella at home. We determined that she doesn’t enjoy family vacations anyway, and she was perfectly happy to have a week to hang out with a friend and another week with her cousins. So it’s just the three boys and me.

Actually, I thought we brought Josy. Apparently we just brought Blanket…





It was a long day of flying. And we had crazy layovers and got some reason ended up in North Carolina on the way, but we made it.





We finally landed in Cancun 24 hours after leaving our house. Then we had an hour on the bus to get to Playa del Carmen. We got lunch and then we headed to our condo.



We decided to all take a nap. Two of us slept really well. The other two decided not to nap. At all. Spoiler alert: the shorter ones were the ones that decided not to nap and it came back to bite them.







We found a lovely Spanish restaurant and had tapas. It was the first time that I’ve had a Spanish tortilla since I lived in Spain. (To be fair, I’ve refused to eat one for 18 years. My señora made them for us every day for a month and I haven’t been able to eat one since.) We also got paella, which my little seafood lover thought was the most amazing food ever. (Gabe, not Pat. Pat also thought it was amazing, but I expected that. I didn’t expect Gabe to love the mussels and squid as much as he did.) Josy, however, was done.







Josy literally fell asleep while eating.







He woke up enough to get out of his chair and crawl on my lap and woke up 14 hours later.

Today, it was raining and we were pretty wiped out anyway, so it was a slow day. We slept in and then eventually walked around town. We got some lunch, Gabe and I did some shopping, then we came back to the condo for naps and a little resting. Eventually we got up and got some dinner, did a little more shopping and then played in the pool for a few minutes before heading to bed.













It was a good day, but it was a quiet day. Exactly what we needed. Tomorrow, we have an adventure planned…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3