Eta

This has been a crazy week. Monday we had a freak ice storm (and I’ll write up another post about that...), then the election is making everyone crazy, I’m getting emails from daycare about running out of teachers since a bunch of them are being tested for covid and then Hurricane Eta showed up. It’s been a long week and it’s only Wednesday...

On Monday, Earl called me. I hadn’t really processed the fact that Hurricane Eta was headed straight to Puerto Cabezas until I saw his name show up on my phone. Then suddenly it all became real.

Earl said that it was supposed to hit at 1am Nicaragua time early Tuesday morning, but he’d call me Tuesday with an update. I spent all of Tuesday watching the news, trying to get information and trying to figure out how Port could handle a category 4 hurricane. At noon he called and said that it has been going since 10:30 Monday night and was just getting worse.



I spent the rest of the day just trying to keep up. Nicaraguan friends were posting pictures of surging waves, flooded streets and trees nearly bent over. And Earl started posting videos from his front yard, with a hurricane raging around him, saying “We know that God is in control.”

Today the storm has passed. All of our Verbo friends are safe. However, the damage is incredible. Earl estimates that 1000 homes in their area will need to be replaced. Villages were flattened. People lost everything and have no food. 

I don’t even have words. But as Earl said: God is in control.

The orphanage:



The school:



Keveta’s house:



A home in Puerto:



Betania:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3