Snow Day

Monday morning we woke up to a city-wide power outage. Overnight we’d had a massive ice storm that took down piles of trees all over the city, causing all sorts of problems for the power company. Because there was no power at daycare and the roads downtown were terrible, school was canceled. (Ironically enough, since all the school-aged kids are doing virtual school, they didn’t get a snow day...)

There was no point in getting up with no shower, no heat and no coffee, so I stayed in bed after Pat left for work. Eventually Gabe joined me and we snuggled until the power eventually came back on. While we waited, we heard a noise on the window.

G: What was that noise?
M: Something hit the window. Maybe it was rain, or snow, or ice.
G: Or maybe someone is hitting a fish on the window.
M: Possibly. Probably not though.

What I wouldn’t give to be in that kid’s head sometimes...

Eventually the power came back on and we all got up and ate breakfast. Then we decided to go play in the snow.





Unfortunately for poor Josy, walking in the snow is hard. Eventually he figured out that crawling was easier, but still. It was a lot of snow and he has short little legs. I decided that was a good time to pull out the sled.



I was just going to go around the block, but Gabe really want to go play at the school. I told them that was a long ways, but he assured me that if I got tired he would pull Josy in the sled.





When we got to the school, the perfect sledding hill hasn’t been touched. I was actually surprised until I remembered that all the kids were in virtual school. And we were several runs in before I remembered that some of the teachers may have been teaching from their classrooms, so I may have been torturing some kids who were having to sit in class on a perfect snowday while they could hear us shouting about a good sledding run in the background. Oops...

Also, sledding with two little boys is complicated. Josy can’t pull his own sled, so I had to pull him up the hill and then sled down with him. (He thought sledding was wonderful!) Gabe could make it up the hill, but he didn’t want to. So I’d leave Josy at the bottom sitting in his sled, but Gabe up the hill and give him a push at the top, the walk down the hill to get Josy, pull Josy up and go down with him, the walk over to Gabe and pull him up the hill again. I definitely got a workout in...









(And I may have dumped him out of the sled at one point while trying to pull him up the hill. I was way more gentle with Josy...)

Eventually I thought that Josy was getting cold, so we headed for home. It turns out, though, that Josy was fine and having a wonderful time. The other one was suddenly cold and I found myself pulling both of them back in one sled while Gabe pulled an empty sled behind him. We were quite the little train. Perhaps someone should have worn his winter coat rather than his winter vest...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3