Skiing

The last time I went skiing, Bella had her 5th grade ski pass and I ended up pumping in the lodge in the middle of the day. As she’s now in high school, it’s clearly been awhile... But this weekend it was my turn to go up with Gabe.

I went up early to get a bit more skiing in for the day and then a friend dropped Gabe off for lessons. (Gabe and her son are doing lessons together.) So not only was I skiing, which was strange in itself, but I was doing it all by myself. That doesn’t happen often either...

It was beautiful up there. Cold, but beautiful. It’s hard to even put it into words.









After a couple runs, I met up with Gabe and got him ready for his lesson.





After his lesson and lunch, he and I went up. I had a harness for him, to catch him if he got out of control, but he did so well that I almost didn’t need it. Almost... His teacher had said that he was having trouble stopping so we worked hard on going down the hill and them stopping when I yelled stop and he was able to do it every time. We did have a couple of spills that it took us a while to untangle from, but we got it figured out. We also had one incident getting on the chairlift where he ended up losing a ski in the process and I had to carry it up with me, but we got it figured out.



I was super proud of him. On our last run, we were about 10 feet from where we we going to take off our skis and Gabe had a tumble. It was one of those big tumbles where skis are all over the place and getting stood up is rather complicated. We fought with it for awhile and finally I told him that we should just take off our skis and walk to the bottom. While laying on the ground with his body in many different directions, he responded with “But Mom, I don’t want to give up.” Okay, then. We continued to fight through it all until he was all stood up and was able to ski the last 10 feet to the bottom.

That kid is a little fighter and he doesn’t give up. That will serve him well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3