The Next Leg

While I was off having adventures in Idaho, Pat was home with the kids. This was even more interesting, since he had to work from 7pm-4:30am the night that I left, which led to some interesting scheduling finagling with the neighbors… He also had to do mask practice with Josy since he was going to have to wear a mask on the airplane for the first time in the entire pandemic…



But they made it! Josy didn’t sleep a wink on the flight and he got his own seat for the first time and he wore a mask and he was up since 2:30am, so he was pretty punch drunk by the time that I finally saw them. But they made it. After four days apart, Gabe just hugged me at the airport, quietly saying “oh, Mommy…” over and over.

We got to take the max, which was actually my first time on it, even though I lived in Portland for years and have visited so many times. I’ve always had people pick me up, so I forget the max is even there. I’m pretty sure that Josy would have taken it all the way to Portland if we’d let him.



Instead we just took it to Target, where e we waited to meet up with our rv.



Once we got the rv, we headed to Laurie and Nathan’s house, where we unpacked all of our stuff into the rv as and did a massive grocery shopping trip. Gabe found every single bit of pirate gear in their toy pile and the boys did their best to get their kittens used to being around small children. The boys also slept on a blowup mattress together for the first time, giving us an interesting preview on what this trip is going to look like. Laurie and Nathan were watching them on the camera and there was a fair bit of laying on top of each other, “Josy’s not sleeping so I need to make him sleep”, switching places in the bed and stealing each other’s stuffed animals. It was particularly traumatic when Josy stole Huggie’s Cousin because “Huggie’s Cousin is allergic to babies.”





Sunday morning, we packed everything up and headed for Eugene to meet up with some friends of Pats that he hasn’t seen since Bella was an infant. We spent the day with them, although I did leave Pat and Bella with them for the afternoon so that I could attempt to get the boys to nap. I did not work. But I tried. Turn we went to dinner and all Josy could do was pace on the bench because he was so tired that if he held still, he’d fall asleep standing up.

He did manage to take over the rv, announcing “drive.” Silly kid.



When the boys were finally in bed, Josy decided to try and push a sleeping Gabe out of bed to get more space. The sleeping arrangements on this trip are going to be interesting…




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3