Poland

We went to Poland for the day. It was close and neither of us had been to Poland, so we figured that we might as well.

It was a good day to leave Berlin for a bit too. It's been gray the entire time we've been here, but yesterday it was raining too. Gray, dreary and raining? It's time to get out of town for the day.

We went to Sczcecin, since it was just a two hour train ride away. We met a guy on the train who thought we were crazy to pick there, since it's a port town and not particularly touristy, but when you only have a week in Europe, you don't have too many options. We assured him that we wouldn't consider it to be "the best of Poland."

I actually really liked it. We got pierogies at an adorable little restaurant, then we saw the Prussian castle and some churches. 




One of my favorite things to do in Europe is to wander old churches. I don't care what denomination it is. If it's old and a church, I want to see it. 

 

Sczcecin, which was used during WWII as the main port town for Nazi Germany, was nearly flattened by Allied bombs. When Russia showed up, there were only 6,000 people left and they started the war with closer to 300,000. The rest had fled or died.

I have no idea what the church looked like after all that bombing. Sometimes I've seen before and after pictures, but since this isn't a particularly touristy place, they didn't have any. But, they obviously had to redo a whole bunch of the art and the stained glass, because the horrors of WWII were very present.




Also, Dad, check out that organ! I really wanted to hear it play...


I liked Poland. It's was a random little day trip, but I'm glad that we went. It was nice to have a slower day after the hustle and bustle of Berlin. Also, I'm very thankful to have a husband who will go along with my crazy plans to go to a different country for lunch, just because we've never been there before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3