A Day at the Beach

It's become tradition that every year Bella's friend will fly up for a few days to hang out and then they'll go to camp together.  The first year we did it, Bella didn't know she was coming and was very confused when we showed up at the airport and her friend came walking out.  Too bad you can only really pull off that surprise once...

This year, her friend didn't want to miss the 4th of July at home, so we planned for her to fly up Thursday afternoon and then they could leave for camp on Monday.  Daycare is closed this week, so I was planning to take two days off, since somehow it seemed silly to ask my mom to watch Bella's friend also.  Plus, since we have so much family in town right now, taking a couple of days off seemed like a good plan.  However, bright and early Thursday morning, the friend's mom called to say that she had the stomach flu and they weren't sending her until Saturday night.  Bella was pretty bummed, but I'm pretty sure that we didn't want a sick kid living at our house, and I'm also pretty sure that she'd rather be sick in her own bed and with her own mom, rather than being sick at our house, sleeping on Bella's floor.

But that meant that suddenly I was off work for two days with just my kids on a super sunny week and I didn't have to plan Gabe's nap around a trip to the airport, so we decided to make the most of it.

In the morning, Gabe and I went to the park to play.


Great Gram joined us for a while and then came to our house for lunch.  I put Gabe down for a nap and then Great Gram and I did some yard work.  (Before anyone complains, I asked Great Gram if she wanted to hang out with me outside while I did yardwork.  I even set up the chair for her to sit in comfortably.  And she insisted on helping me.)

Once Gabe woke up, we packed up all of our stuff and headed out to the beach.  I took Bella and Gabe in one car, so we could scope out a place to hang out for the evening.  We found a nice place in the shade to sit and eat our popsicles.


Then Gabe reminded me that I forget to get the excavator and the loader from the car.  I went up to get them and realized that the people who were hanging out in the shelter had just left, so we moved the whole operation to the shelter, which had stairs, picnic tables and a legit firepit.  It's a good thing I forgot the excavator...


By then, Gram, Gramps and Great Gram showed up, so we all headed down to the water to throw rocks in the water.  Both Great Gram and Gabe can't resist the chance to throw or skip rocks.  (Well, Gramps can't really either...)






Well, everyone but Bella, who insisted on drawing in the shade.


Then Katilyn, Seth and Bryson showed up.


 
I know it looks sketchy, but Great Gram really wasn't trying to shoot Bryson with a water gun...




Seth blew up the kayak that I won last year in the photo contest that I entered Gabe in.  I'm really glad that I have a photogenic child because that was a lot of fun.





Eventually Pat got off work and we roasted hot dogs and s'mores.


It was a pretty wonderful way to spend a sunny day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Car Wash

A Very Cold Day

Utah/California: Day 3